in this guide
If you’re leaving Australia to travel or live in another country, you need to tell us. Travelling outside of Australia may affect your payments.
You can only add your travel details one trip at a time. You’ll need to wait until you return from your first trip before you can add a new one.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.
The screenshots in this guide are from a computer. The page layout will look different if you’re using a mobile device.
Step 1: get started
Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
Select MENU from your homepage.
Select My details, then Personal and contact details, and Travelling outside of Australia.
To add new travel details, go to Step 2.
If you need to edit existing travel details, go to Step 4.
Select Add new travel details.
Add your travel details one trip at a time. You’ll need to wait until you return from your first trip before you can add a new one.
Answer the questions about your travel plans.
If you need help, select the question mark icon
To begin, select the calendar icon and choose the date you're planning to leave Australia.
To tell us about your return to Australia, choose the option that best explains your personal situation.
It may affect your payment if you don’t know the date you'll return. If you’re going to live in another country, it can also affect your payment.
If you know the exact date of your return, select the calendar icon and choose it.
Select the drop-down menu and choose the country you're travelling to. If you’re visiting multiple countries, select the one where you’ll spend the most time.
You'll need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia on a cruise ship.
- the tick icon to tell us you’re leaving on a cruise ship
- the cross icon to tell us you’re leaving another way.
Select Child, Partner and Care Receivers’ Travel Details to tell us if your partner or children are travelling with you.
- the tick icon to tell us your partner or child are travelling with you
- the cross icon to tell us your partner or child aren't travelling with you.
Select Reason for travel to choose the reason for your travel.
Select the reason that best describes your situation.
Then select Next.
Step 3: review and submit
We’ll give you a summary of the travel details you’ve given us. Make sure your details are correct.
- Back if you need to make changes
- Cancel if you don’t want to continue or need to start again.
If all of the details are correct, read the declaration. If you understand and agree with the declaration, select I accept this declaration, then Submit.
Get your receipt
We’ll give you a receipt to confirm your update. Make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.
In the Next Steps section, we’ll tell you if:
- you need to give us more information
- your travel affects your payments or concession cards.
On this page, you can select either:
- Information you provided to view a summary of the details you’ve given us
- Finish to go back to the Travelling outside of Australia page.
From the Travelling outside of Australia page you can select any of these:
- Remove to delete the information you've given us
- Edit to change the information you've given us
- Home to go back to your homepage.
Step 5: sign out
From your homepage you can complete other transactions or select Return to myGov to go back to your myGov account.
For your privacy and security, sign out when you’ve finished using your myGov account.
View other online account and Express Plus mobile app guides and video demonstrations about using your online account.