Centrelink online account help - Advise non-lodgement of tax return

Instructions to tell us you or your partner don’t need to lodge a tax return using your Centrelink online account.


If you're not sure if you need to lodge a return, there’s help available. Use the Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

 If you get Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy you need to do both of the following:

  • confirm your income
  • let us know if you don’t need to lodge a tax return.

This is so we can balance your payments and make sure we paid you the correct amount.

Read more about balancing your family assistance payments.

Step 1: get started

If you're not already in your Centrelink online account, sign into myGov to access your account. 

Select MENU on your homepage.


Select My Family, followed by Family assistance, and Advise non-lodgement of tax return.

Step 2: select the financial year

Select the year you need to advise non-lodgement for.


Once you’ve selected the year, read the disclaimer. If you understand and agree with the disclaimer, select I accept the declaration and then Start Now.


Step 3: tell us you don’t need to lodge a tax return  

We’ll ask you if you’ve lodged or intend to lodge a tax return. To advise you don’t need to lodge a tax return select No.

We’ll ask why you’re not lodging a tax return. Select your answer from the drop down menu.

If you have a partner, you’ll need to give us their answers too.

Select Next.


Step 4: give us your income details

We’ll pre-fill your income details from your Centrelink record. You need to check these amounts carefully. You should update them if they’re wrong. To make required updates, select update required. To update other items, select the pencil icon for each item you want to update.

It’s important to make sure the income details you give us are accurate. This is so you get paid the right amount when we balance your payments.

Make sure you include any Government payments and benefits you got during the financial year. If you’re unsure how much you got, you can check your payment summary. You can find this in the ‘request a document’ service in your Centrelink online account. Find out which payments to include as part of your adjusted taxable income.

You don’t need to include any of the following as part of your income details:

  • Family Tax Benefit
  • Child Care Subsidy
  • child support
  • Carer Allowance.


A pop up box will appear. Make updates to confirm the income you received for the selected financial year, then select Save. You’ll need to do this separately for each income type you need to update.


When you update an item, the update will appear on the Update income estimate details page. Once you’ve made all your updates, check your new income details.

If the income details are correct, select Next.

To make changes, select the pencil icon for each item you want to edit.


Step 5: confirm update

Select Expand to review your tax return and income estimate details.

If any of these details are incorrect, select Update to make changes. To stop your update, select Cancel. To go back to the previous page, select Back.

If all the details are correct, read the declaration. If you understand and accept the declaration, select I accept the declaration, then Submit.


Step 6: get your receipt

We’ll give you a receipt to let you know we’ve accepted your non-lodgement update. Please make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.

Select Return to home to go back to your online account homepage.

Step 7: sign out

From your homepage, you can complete other transactions or select the myGov icon to return to myGov.

For your privacy and security, sign out when you’ve finished using your myGov account.

Page last updated: 2 July 2019