Who can get it
You must meet eligibility rules to get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.
To get it you must meet all of the following:
- you're an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
- you're 16 years or older at the time of the floods or getting a social security payment
you meet local government area requirements
- you haven't already got an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment for the New South Wales Floods, March 2021.
You also must have been adversely affected by the floods. For example:
- you were seriously injured
- you're the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
- you're the principal carer of a dependent child who's experienced any of the above
- the floods significantly damaged your principal place of residence.
Examples of significant damage to your principle place of residence can include:
- it's been destroyed or must be demolished
- it’s been declared structurally unsound
- the floods caused major damage to the interior
- the floods exposed the interior to the elements
- sewage has contaminated the interior
- the floods significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.
For this payment:
- Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.
A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.
- You’re a principal carer of a child if the child is your dependent and hasn't turned 16. The principal carer must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.
If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.
You can't claim on behalf of a person who has died or their estate.
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment.
Page last updated: 20 April 2021
This information was printed 27 July 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/new-south-wales-floods-march-2021-australian-government-disaster-recovery-payment/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.