Additional help

If you’re affected by a natural disaster, there’s more help available. This includes community, state and other government support.

Support in Northern Region flooding affected areas in the Northern Territory

Support is available for people in Northern Region flooding affected areas in the Northern Territory. For more information, go to Northern Territory, Northern Region Flooding, February 2023.

Financial help

If you’re directly affected by a natural disaster event, we have payments available. Check your eligibility and how to claim by selecting your natural disaster event.

We have tips and information to help you manage your money during difficult times in your life.

You can check what other financial help is available from us and other agencies. This includes information to help you manage owing money for a Centrelink debt.

If you’re in temporary financial hardship and need extra help with the cost of child care, you may be eligible for Additional Child Care Subsidy.

If your income has reduced because of a natural disaster event, you may be eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card. This can help you pay for some health care services.

If your concession card has been damaged or lost, read about how to replace a card.

State or territory financial help and relief

If you’re directly affected by a natural disaster event, there is state or territory support and services available. You can select your state or territory below to find out more.

You may also find other support available on the National Emergency Management Agency website.

Living arrangements

If you’re experiencing homelessness, there’s help available. This includes financial, housing and mental health support.

You can also find shelter, food and other support in your area on the AskIzzy website.

Family and domestic violence support

If you’re experiencing family and domestic violence, we can help you access our payments and connect you to other support services.

Social work services

We have social workers who can help if you need to talk to someone for support.

They can help you with any of the following:

  • access to mental health support services
  • short term counselling
  • information and referrals to other support services.

You can talk to a social worker by calling Centrelink and asking to speak with one.

Mental health support

Experiencing a natural disaster can be stressful and affect your mental health. There are resources to help during this difficult time. The following links will take you away from our website.

The ABC has a series you can listen to about recovering after a disaster.

Lifeline is open to all Australians in personal crisis. They have resources for recovering after a natural disaster.

headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. They have information for young people about coping with the stress of a natural disaster, including tips for the short and long term.

To talk to someone, you can call any of the following hotlines:

  • Lifeline on 13 11 14
  • Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
  • Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.

We can help you with the costs of some mental health treatments. Read more about mental health care and Medicare.

Help with health care

If you’re experiencing health issues you may be able to get support with the cost of health care.

Read more about how to enrol in Medicare, and what’s covered by Medicare.

You may be able to get additional help with out of pocket health costs from an act of terrorism or natural disaster.

Read about the Disaster Health Care Assistance Scheme.

Help to recover

There are government services and support available to help you recover. These links will take you away from our website.

The myGov website has information about replacing your identity documents after a natural disaster. This includes your driver licence or passport.

Australian Government and state-based agencies provide relief and recovery services and support. Find out more about the services and support that are available using Recovery Connect.

The Disaster Assist website can help you find information on declared natural disasters. If you’re in an affected Local Government Area, you can find out what help is available.

The Moneysmart website has information about recovering financially after a natural disaster.

Talk to your bank about your mortgage repayments and fees. They might be able to help if you’ve experienced a natural disaster.

Page last updated: 24 April 2023.
QC 61353

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.