Who can get it

You need to meet eligibility requirements and be in severe financial hardship to get Crisis Payment.

You can get it if you:

  • are experiencing family and domestic violence
  • get out after 14 days from prison or psychiatric confinement as a result of an offence
  • are a Humanitarian Entrant into Australia for the first time
  • go through a natural disaster not covered by the Disaster Recovery Payment
  • are in Australia when the event occurred, and when you submit your claim
  • are eligible for an income support payment.

You can’t get it if you got a Disaster Recovery Payment or another disaster relief payment for the same event.

If you get in-kind help from somewhere else, like new electrical goods or food, you can still claim.

Other rules to meet

You must call us within 7 days of your crisis, on the Help in an emergency line.

You must also meet residence rules. On the day you claim Crisis Payment you must meet the residence rules of your income support payment.

Severe financial hardship

For the purposes of Crisis Payment you’re in financial hardship if you’re:

  • single and your funds total less than 2 weeks of the highest rate of your income support payment
  • part of a couple and your funds total less than 4 weeks of the highest rate income support rate.

Help in an emergency

Each disaster is different so the timing and type of financial help varies.

Read more about how we help in an emergency.

Page last updated: 5 September 2019