Managing child support

Ongoing support to help you manage child support, family payments and changes to your circumstances after you separate.

How to manage your child support online

If you have a child support assessment with us, you can change the details of your assessment online. You can do this using your Child Support online account or the Express Plus Child Support mobile app.

Changes to child support arrangements

If your child support arrangements with your ex-partner have changed, you need to tell us.

This can include changes to any of the following:

You must also tell us if you decide to live outside Australia, or if the other parent chooses to live outside Australia.

How to manage your family payments online

If you’re getting any family payments, you’ll also need to update your details in your Centrelink online account. You can do this through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Learn more about what family payments you may get while your child is growing up.

When your circumstances change

When your personal circumstances change, you need to tell us. This is so we can make sure you’re getting the correct amount of child support and family payments.

Your child’s circumstances may also affect your support and payments. So you need to tell us if any of the following happen:

  • they’re 17 but will still be attending secondary school when they turn 18
  • someone else legally adopts your child
  • they move in with a partner or get married
  • they move overseas.

Depending on their situation, they may also be able to get their own payment.

Learn more about how a change in circumstances can affect your child support.

If you’re leaving a relationship or living with violence or abuse, there are some things you need to do to keep your information safe.

If we need to contact you

Once you have an assessment, we may need to contact you from time to time about your child support.

You can request how and when we contact you. To update your preferences, call us on the Child Support Enquiry Line.

Sometimes we may need to contact you using a different method or outside your preferred contact times. This may happen if:

  • we haven’t been able to reach you through your preferred method
  • you don’t make payments on time
  • we need to resolve a specific matter.

If your Child Support online account is linked to myGov you can update your contact details online. This includes your phone number and address.

Sign in to myGov

Page last updated: 6 May 2024.
QC 60021