Separating can be difficult. There’s a lot to consider, from your financial security to impacts on your family.

When you’re deciding to separate, what to do next may be overwhelming. You can start by updating your details with us.

After separation, you’ll need to work out arrangements for your children. This includes finances, property and learning about child support.

You should also check to see what payments you can get. After you separate, you may be able to get different payments or the amount you get may change.

You may need to arrange child support. You can start a new case easily online.

Apply for child support

While you’re dealing with these important things, you’ll also have practical tasks to do. Our guide for newly separated parents can help with what else you may want to do.

Page last updated: 12 April 2022