A one off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.
We have information in different languages about Crisis Payment
Call our Multilingual Phone Service to speak with us in your language about your Centrelink payments and services.
To get this you must also be:
- eligible for an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- in Australia when you claim.
In most cases you must contact us within 7 days of your extreme circumstance occurring. However, if your extreme circumstance is due to COVID-19 you must contact us within 14 days.
Extreme circumstances for Crisis Payment means:
- you or someone you’re caring for is entering quarantine or self-isolation due to COVID-19
- you’ve experienced family and domestic violence
- a natural or other disaster not covered by a disaster relief payment
- you arrive in Australia as a Humanitarian Entrant for the first time
- you’re released from prison or psychiatric confinement.
Read more about who can get it.
Complete the following steps to claim Crisis Payment. Check if you can get it first by calling your main payment line, within 7 days of your crisis.
Page last updated: 16 June 2020
This information was printed 13 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/crisis-payment. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.