A one-off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.
We have information in different languages about Crisis Payment
Call our Multilingual Phone Service to speak with us in your language about your Centrelink payments and services.
To get this you must:
- be in severe financial hardship
- get, or, be eligible for an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
be experiencing an extreme circumstance.
If you’re not getting an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance, use Payment and Service finder to check if you can get one.
To be eligible for Crisis Payment you must be experiencing an extreme circumstance. This means 1 of the following:
- you or someone you’re caring for entered quarantine or self-isolation due to COVID-19
- you’ve experienced an incident of family and domestic violence
- you’ve had to leave your home because of a natural or other disaster not covered by a disaster relief payment
- you’ve arrived in Australia as a Humanitarian Entrant for the first time
- you were released from prison or psychiatric confinement.
In most cases you must contact us within 7 days of your extreme circumstance occurring. However, if your extreme circumstance is due to coronavirus (COVID-19) you must contact us within 14 days.
If you’re getting new electrical goods or food from other agencies or charities, you can still claim a Crisis Payment.
Help in an emergency
Each disaster is different so the timing and type of financial help varies. You can’t get a Crisis Payment if you can get a disaster relief payment instead.
Read more about how we help in an emergency.
Types of Crisis Payment
Read about the Crisis Payment for your situation.
Page last updated: 10 December 2020
This information was printed 21 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/crisis-payment. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.