You may get help from us if you’ve just moved to Australia, depending on your visa and situation.

We may be able to help you to:

  • get cheaper health care
  • talk to someone in your language
  • attend free talks about our payments and services
  • find work
  • apply for payments and services.

Support for Ukrainian nationals in Australia

If you’ve been affected by the conflict in Ukraine, we can help you with payments and support while you’re in Australia.

Find out what support you can get while in Australia.

Assurance of Support

Assurance of Support (AoS) is for migrants who enter Australia under certain visa types, specified by the Department of Home Affairs. Some visa applicants must get an AoS before their visa application can be approved.

Most people move to Australia to be with family, to work, or as a refugee. You can read about permanent visa information for your situation on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Talk to us in your language

We have information in your language.

You can also talk to someone in your language by calling:

You can ask for an interpreter when you call or visit us. It’s free.

Find payments

You may be able to get an income support payment depending on your situation. Most of our payments have waiting periods and residency rules. Check what you can get.

If we ask you for a document when you claim a payment, we’ll translate it at no cost.

Find work

We have tools and information to help if you’re looking for work.

The Community Development Program may help you if you live in a remote area. Read more about the Community Development Program on the National Indigenous Australians Agency website.

Get health care

If you have a valid visa, you may be able to use Medicare services to get lower cost health care.

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) to speak to us in your language about Medicare.

If you’ve had vaccinations overseas, a health professional can record them in the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). This includes a coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination. The AIR will become your official record of your COVID-19 vaccination.

Find out how to add overseas immunisations to the AIR. You’ll need to provide proof of each one.

You can also read about getting help during coronavirus and COVID-19 vaccinations.

Learn English

You can get free English language classes with the Adult Migrant English Program through the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.

We can refer you to the Skills for Education and Employment program through the Department of Education, Skills and Employment. It helps with speaking, reading, writing and maths skills.

Become an Australian citizen

Read about becoming a citizen on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Page last updated: 10 June 2022