Support for Ukrainian nationals in Australia

If you have been affected by the conflict in Ukraine, we can help you with payments and support while you’re in Australia.

If you are a Ukrainian national who has moved to Australia, you can apply for support depending on the type of visa you have.

What visa types are eligible for support

You must have one of the following visas:

  • Temporary Humanitarian stay visa subclass 449
  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa subclass 786.

Read more about these visa types and the Australian Government offer for Temporary Humanitarian Stay in Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website.

What payments you can get

The payments and services you are eligible for will depend on the type of visa you have.

If you have a valid 449 or 786 visa, you can claim any of the following payments, without having to serve a waiting period. Read more about these payments:

If you or your family are affected by COVID-19, you may be able to get a payment from us. Find out more about what to do if you need a payment.

What health services you can use

We have services to help you with health care and getting vaccines.

Help with general health care

If you have a valid 449 visa, you are not eligible for Medicare. You can still visit a doctor and seek medical care, but you won’t be covered by Medicare.

If you have a valid 786 visa, you can use Medicare to get lower cost health care. Read more about what’s covered by Medicare and how to enrol in Medicare.

Help with vaccines

While you’re in Australia you can get your COVID-19 vaccinations for free. Read more about COVID-19 vaccinations. You don’t need a specific visa type to get a COVID-19 vaccination.

If you’ve had immunisations overseas, you can have them recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). This includes any approved COVID-19 vaccinations. The AIR will become your official record of your COVID-19 vaccination.

Find out how to add overseas immunisations to the AIR. You’ll need to give proof of each one.

What other help you can get

We have services to help you with other support you may need.

Social work services

We have social workers who can help if you need to talk to someone for support.

They can help you with any of the following:

  • use of mental health support services
  • short term counselling
  • information and referrals to other support services.

You can talk to a social worker by calling Centrelink and asking to speak with one. If you need an interpreter, let us know and we’ll arrange one for you. You can also call the Centrelink multilingual phone service.

You can also visit your nearest service centre and ask to speak with a social worker.

Information in your language

If you need information or to talk to someone in your language, we can help.

You can read, listen or watch information in your language.

If you have questions about Centrelink payments and services, call our Centrelink multilingual phone service.

If you need to talk to us about Medicare or Child Support, call us and we’ll arrange an interpreter for free. Call either the:

If you need a document translated so you can claim a payment or service, let us know when you call. We will do this for free.

Learn English

You may be able to get free English language classes under the Adult Migrant English Program. Read more about the Adult Migrant English Program on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Page last updated: 10 June 2022