Read about visiting Australia to work or study and payments or services that may help you.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel advice

Check advice for international visitors on the Department of Health and Aged Care website.

If you’ve had a COVID-19 vaccination, make sure you have proof from the country where you got it. You’ll need this to make sure your vaccination is officially recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register. Read about how to get an immunisation history statement as proof of vaccination.

You can also read about COVID-19 vaccinations on the Department of Health and Aged Care website.

Before you travel

Check what you need to do before you visit Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website. It covers things like:

  • travel restrictions
  • travel declarations
  • types of visas for work, study, family or holidays.

You may be able to get social security payments while you’re in Australia. Find out which countries we have international social security agreements with.

Study in Australia

Find out about studying in Australia on the Study Australia website, including:

  • university locations
  • costs
  • academic requirements
  • visa requirements
  • how to apply.

Read about studying and training visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Work in Australia

You need the right visa to work in Australia. There are 2 types of working visas:

  • Skilled Migration Visas for workers who have skills the Australian labour market needs
  • Sponsored Work Visas for people with an Australian employer, authority or government agency sponsoring them.

Read the full list of working visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Health care when you visit

Australia has subsidised health care for Australian citizens, residents and people on some temporary visas.

Check if the country you’re visiting from has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. If so, your country’s public health system may cover your health care costs while you’re in Australia.

If you’re not from a reciprocal country, you should get private health insurance. You’ll usually need this to get a visa. If you don’t, you’ll need to pay the full cost of any hospital, ambulance or doctor fees in Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2023.
QC 60223