Support for asylum seekers transitioning to a permanent refugee visa

If you had a Temporary Protection Visa (TPV) or Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (SHEV) and have moved onto a permanent resident Resolution of Status (RoS) visa subclass 851, we can help you with payments.

What support you can get on a RoS visa

If you have a valid 851 RoS visa, you can claim any of the following payments, without having to serve a residence waiting period or qualifying residence period:

You may also be eligible for other payments:

  • Crisis Payment is a one-off payment for humanitarian entrants arriving in Australia for the first time.
  • Special Benefit is a payment if you’re in severe financial need and can’t get another payment from us.
  • Rent Assistance is extra help if you pay rent and get certain payments from us.

Family payments and services

You may be able to get payments to help you with the costs of raising your family:

Read about other help you may get with your child's education and health care.

What health services you can use

We have services to help you with health care and getting vaccines.

Help with health care

If you have a valid 851 RoS visa, you don’t have to do anything with Medicare. You’ll get a new Medicare card in the mail in 3 to 4 weeks. If your address has changed, update your personal details so the card gets to you.

If you don’t get a new card, you’ll need to contact Medicare.

Using your Medicare card you can get lower cost health care.

Read more about what’s covered by Medicare and how to enrol in Medicare.

Help with vaccines

While you’re in Australia you can get your COVID-19 vaccinations for free. Read more about COVID-19 vaccinations on the Department of Health and Aged Care website. You don’t need a specific visa type to get a COVID-19 vaccination.

If you’ve had immunisations overseas, you can have them recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

Find out how to add overseas immunisations to the AIR. You’ll need to give proof of each one.

What other help you can get

We have services to help you with other support you may need.

Social work services

We have social workers who can help if you need to talk to someone for support.

They can help you with any of the following:

  • use of mental health support services
  • short term counselling
  • information and referrals to other support services.

You can talk to a social worker by calling Centrelink and asking to speak with one. If you need an interpreter, let us know and we’ll arrange one for you. You can also call the Centrelink multilingual phone service.

You can also visit your nearest service centre and ask to speak with a social worker.

Information in your language

If you need information or to talk to someone in your language, we can help.

You can read, listen or watch information in your language.

If you have questions about Centrelink payments and services, call our Centrelink multilingual phone service.

If you need to talk to us about Medicare or Child Support, call us and we’ll arrange an interpreter for free. Call either the:

If you need a document translated so you can claim a payment or service, let us know when you call. We will do this for free.

Learn English

You may be able to get free English language classes under the Adult Migrant English Program. Read more about the Adult Migrant English Program on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Page last updated: 1 December 2023.
QC 64151