Support services for separated parents

We provide separated parents support and information to help with their family situation.

Separation is a time of many changes and it’s important to seek support if you need it.

What you should consider

Some things you may need to do when separating include:

  • keeping safe - if you’re in immediate danger, call 000
  • checking which payments and services you can apply for, like Child Support
  • arranging for care of the kids – you can set up a parenting plan
  • considering how the separation affects your finances - budgets, mortgages, loans, bank accounts, credit cards, superannuation, and taxation
  • considering legal matters - remaking wills, property settlement and court orders
  • telling us about your change of circumstances if you get a payment from us.

You may also need to update details for your:

  • Medicare card
  • driver’s licence
  • postal address to have your mail re-directed
  • utility companies, financial institutions, insurance companies, schools, the ATO and other organisations.

How we can help you

We can:

We have tools for you, including:

We also have information to help you manage your money.

If you pay or receive child support

The Child Support Guide on the Department of Social Services website explains how child support works.

The easiest way to manage your child support is online. You can use your Child Support online account and the Express Plus Child Support mobile app to:

  • get letters and statements
  • let us know if your care levels change
  • update your personal details
  • check your payment details
  • send us documents.

You can also call us on Child Support Information Service recorded phone service to get information about your child support.

You can read information in your language about child support. This includes information about paying and receiving child support if you or the other parent is overseas.

To find out more, call us on the Child Support enquiry line.

Who else can help you

There are many organisations that can help you with counselling, support and legal advice when separating. Use our Payment and Service Finder to find them in your local area.

Family Relationships Online gives you information about family relationship issues and separation. They can also refer you to local services for more help.

International support options

If you live overseas, the following services may be able to provide support.

Country Website How they can help
New Zealand Ministry of Social Development’s Family Services Directory. A list of service providers that can help New Zealand families.
United Kingdom

UK government’s GOV.UK

UK Department for Work and Pensions Sorting Out Separation website.

Information and online services for the public all in one place.

Help and support for separated families.

United States of America

US government's official web portal.

US Department of Health and Human Services’ How Do Our Partners Help webpage.

Makes it easy for the public to get US government information and services online.

Provides information about services for separated parents.

Canada Department of Justice has a directory. Customers can browse services by province or territory or by type of service.

Page last updated: 25 February 2021