What your commitments are

There are things you must do to keep getting your JobSeeker Payment.

Mutual obligation requirements

Mutual obligation requirements are tasks and activities you agree to do while getting JobSeeker Payment from us.

If you live in the Western Australian (WA) areas affected by Tropical Cyclone Seroja

We’re temporarily pausing mutual obligation requirements from 12 April to 20 April 2021 due to the impact of Tropical Cyclone Seroja.

If you live in one of the following Local Government Areas (LGAs), you won’t need to meet your requirements during this period. No payment suspensions or financial penalties will apply.

Mutual obligation requirements are also paused for customers in the Community Development Program (CDP) regions of Kambalda/Norseman and Mid-West/West Western Australia.

You can find more information about:

If you live in other parts of WA or in other Australian states and territories

You must meet all of your mutual obligation requirements.

This means doing the tasks and activities in your Job Plan. Suspensions and penalties apply if you don’t.

If you’re in online employment services, you need to do the tasks on your dashboard.

You must attend all appointments with your provider.

Read about mutual obligation requirements.

When penalties apply

There are demerits and financial penalties for not meeting your mutual obligation requirements.

This applies to you if you’re with one of these:

If you’re in the Community Development Program, the penalties are different.

When exemptions apply

You may be exempt from mutual obligation requirements in certain circumstances. This includes if you’re impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19).

Read about what exemptions may apply.

Report employment income

If you get an income support payment from us, you must report any income you and your partner get. You need to report every 2 weeks, even if it’s $0. This is so we pay you the right amount.

Before you get your first payment, you need to report your and your partner’s income.

You can report your income by:

You can check your reporting dates through your Centrelink online account.

When you report your income each fortnight, you’re confirming you’re meeting your mutual obligation requirements.

Read about income reporting and get help using our Centrelink online account guides.

Change of circumstances

You must tell us if things change as it may affect your JobSeeker Payment.

You can tell us using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Read about what you need to tell us.

Next: How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim JobSeeker Payment. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Page last updated: 15 April 2021