Who can get it

You need to meet some rules to get JobSeeker Payment.

Eligibility rules

The rules you need to meet to get JobSeeker Payment (JSP) depend on your situation.

You’ll need to meet all of these:

You also need to be one of the following:

You may not be eligible if you get certain payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA). Read more about getting a DVA payment.

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to help check if you can get a payment.

Eligibility to transfer to Parenting Payment Single (PPS)

From 20 September 2023, single principal carers of a child aged under 14 will automatically transfer to PPS if they’re getting:

  • JobSeeker Payment (JSP)
  • Youth Allowance for job seekers.

If you transfer from JSP or Youth Allowance for job seekers to PPS, you’ll get more money every fortnight. This is because the maximum basic rate of payment for PPS is higher than JSP or Youth Allowance for job seekers.

During the transition period, you’ll have 2 separate employment income reports to complete. You’ll need to report for the final days of JSP and also for the first few days of PPS. They may have separate due dates. This may happen if you transferred to PPS mid-way through your pay period. Once you complete these 2 reports, you’ll only need to report once each fortnight for PPS. Read more about reporting employment income.

Your existing mutual obligation exemption or requirements will continue when you transfer to PPS.

Unemployed and looking for work

You may get JobSeeker Payment if any of the following apply:

  • you’re unemployed
  • you’re not in full time work, for example you’re doing part time or casual work
  • you’ve been temporarily stood down
  • you’ve had your work hours reduced.

If you earn income over a certain amount, it will affect how much JobSeeker Payment you can get. Read more about income tests.

Sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study

You may be sick or injured, which stops you from doing your usual work or study for a short time. In this case, you may get JobSeeker Payment. You’ll need to meet certain rules and give us a medical certificate.

Financial support when your Disaster Recovery Allowance ends

You can claim an income support payment from us when your Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) or New Zealand DRA ends.

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 52168