What your commitments are

There are some things you must do to keep getting your Parenting Payment.

Mutual obligation and participation requirements are temporarily paused for people in some flood affected areas of NSW. Read more about the mutual obligation and participation requirements pause.

While getting Parenting Payment you need to do all the following:

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to either:

  • meet mutual obligation requirements
  • participate in ParentsNext.

Mutual obligation requirements

Mutual obligation requirements are tasks and activities you agree to do while getting Parenting Payment from us. They’ll apply to you when your youngest child turns 6 or if you’re a compulsory ParentsNext participant.

Report employment income

If you get an income support payment from us, you must report any income you and your partner get. You need to report every 2 weeks, even if it’s $0. This is so we pay you the right amount.

Before you get your first payment, you need to report your and your partner’s income.

You can report your income in any of these ways, by:

You can check your reporting dates through your Centrelink online account.

When you report your income each fortnight, you may need to confirm you’re meeting your mutual obligation requirements.

Read about income reporting and get help using our Centrelink online account guides.

If you want to report your partner’s income online, you’ll need permission to enquire or have a nominee arrangement.

If you get Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy you may also need to update your family income estimate.

Change of circumstances

You must tell us if things change as it may affect your Parenting Payment.

You can tell us using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Read about what you need to tell us.

Page last updated: 29 July 2022