Who can get it

You must meet certain criteria to get Parenting Payment.

To get this payment, you must do all of the following:

You can’t claim Parenting Payment before the birth of a child. Only one parent or guardian can be paid Parenting Payment.

Parental Leave Pay is different to Parenting Payment. There are also other payments for families you may be able to get.

You may not be eligible if you get certain payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA). Read more about getting a Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) payment.

If your youngest child is younger than 6

You can take part in ParentsNext.

Financial support when your Disaster Recovery Allowance ends

You can claim an income support payment from us when your Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) or New Zealand DRA ends.

If you’ve lost your job you may be able to claim Parenting Payment.

Page last updated: 13 May 2024.
QC 43486