For example, you need to tell us if any of the following things happen:
- your child begins primary or secondary school for the first time
- your or your partner’s activity details change
- your or your partner's income changes
- your care arrangements change
- your personal circumstances change
- you change your address
- you leave Australia.
Keep in mind, if the changes impact your subsidy, it can take up to 2 weeks to apply. This is because we check your eligibility and pay Child Care Subsidy fortnightly.
If you don't tell us about changes to your circumstances within 14 days, it may affect your subsidy. We may overpay you and you'll have to pay the money back.
You don’t need to tell us if either of these apply:
- the hours your child attends child care change
- your child stops attending child care, if you plan on sending them to child care again in the future.
If your child care hours change you should review your family income estimate and activity levels. You can do this at any time using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Use our online guides to help you update your:
You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. It only takes a few minutes to do the update and you can do it yourself online.
Read more about what happens if you increase your child care hours.
Your family income estimate plays an important role in getting your payments right. We use it to work out how much Child Care Subsidy you can get.
If your relationship status changes throughout the year, you need to let us know.