Update your relationship status

If your relationship status changes throughout the year, you need to let us know.

What you need to do

You can update your relationship status by calling the families line.

You also need to let us know if there’s a change to your family income estimate or activity details. You can update these details at any time. It only takes a few minutes to do and you can do it yourself online.

If you don’t, we may pay you too much. If this happens, you’ll owe us money which you’ll have to pay back.

You should review your:

  • income estimate to make sure it reflects your combined family’s income
  • activity details to make sure it reflects the activity levels of both you and your partner.

If you underestimate your family income, you may get an overpayment when we balance your subsidy at the end of the financial year.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in to update your family’s estimate and activity details at any time.

Sign in to myGov

Use our online guides to help you update your:

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. It only takes a few minutes to do the update and you can do it yourself online.

Page last updated: 26 April 2023.
QC 48501