Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Child Care Subsidy when you travel outside Australia. The rules also apply to your Additional Child Care Subsidy.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your subsidy will stop when you depart.

If you travel for a short term, you’ll get your subsidy for up to 6 weeks. But you must be paying for child care in Australia while you’re overseas.

After 6 weeks your subsidy will stop.

Your payment will also stop when you depart if all of these apply:

  • you travel for more than 6 weeks
  • you return to Australia
  • you then leave again within 6 weeks of that return.

If your subsidy stops while you’re outside Australia, you may have to submit a new claim when you return.

You may get your subsidy for up to 3 years if you’re either:

  • a member of the Australian Defence Force deployed overseas
  • a member of the Australian Federal Police engaged in peacekeeping or capacity building activities overseas.

You can have 42 paid absences each financial year from child care, except for occasional care. You can take an absence for any reason. You don’t need to give evidence. Read more about what happens if your child is absent from child care.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 30196