What your commitments are

There are things you must do to keep getting your Youth Allowance as a job seeker payment.

Mutual obligation requirements

Mutual obligation requirements are tasks and activities you agree to do while getting Youth Allowance as a job seeker.

If you live in an area with lockdown restrictions

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), we’ve temporarily paused mutual obligation requirements for job seekers and participants that live in the following areas only:

State, Territory or Local Government Areas (LGAs) Duration of suspension period
South Australia 20 July 2021 to 3 August 2021
Victoria 16 July 2021 to 3 August 2021

NSW regional LGAs:

  • Blayney
  • Cabonne
  • Orange.
21 July 2021 to 3 August 2021

NSW Metro LGAs:

  • City of Sydney
  • Waverley
  • Randwick
  • Canada Bay
  • Inner West
  • Bayside
  • Woollahra.
25 June 2021 to 31 August 2021

Greater Sydney and all of the following LGAs:

  • Blue Mountains
  • Central Coast
  • Wollongong
  • Shellharbour.

Read more about restrictions in Greater Sydney on the NSW Government website.

27 June 2021 to 31 August 2021

South-East Queensland:

  • Brisbane
  • Moreton Bay
  • Gold Coast
  • Ipswich
  • Lockyer Valley
  • Logan City
  • Noosa
  • Redlands
  • Scenic Rim
  • Somerset
  • Sunshine Coast.
31 July 2021 to 12 August 2021

During this period, no payment suspensions or financial penalties will apply if you don’t meet your mutual obligation requirements.

You should continue to check when your requirements are due after the temporary pause of mutual obligation requirements end. If you’re unable to meet your job search requirements after the temporary pause ends, you need to call either:

You can find more information about:

If you live in other Australian states and territories

You must meet all of your mutual obligation requirements.

This means doing the tasks and activities in your Job Plan. Suspensions and penalties apply if you don’t.

If you’re in online employment services, you need to do the tasks on your dashboard.

You must attend all appointments with your provider. You can do this in any of the following ways:

  • over the phone
  • online
  • in person, if safe to do so.

You can opt-in to get face to face services by contacting your provider. If you do, you’ll go to appointments and activities in person, if it’s safe to do so.

If you don’t want face to face servicing, you may be able to do these over the phone or online.

Read about mutual obligation requirements.

What penalties apply

There are demerits and financial penalties for not meeting your mutual obligation requirements.

This applies to you if you’re in any of these:

If you’re in the Community Development Program, the penalties are different.

What exemptions apply

You may be exempt from mutual obligation requirements in certain circumstances. This includes if you’re either:

  • impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • a sole trader or self employed.

Read about what exemptions may apply.

Report employment income

If you get an income support payment from us, you must report any income you and your partner get. You need to report every 2 weeks, even if it’s $0. This is so we pay you the right amount.

Before you get your first payment, you need to report your and your partner’s income.

You can report your income in any of these ways, by:

You can check your reporting dates through your Centrelink online account.

Read about income reporting and get help using our Centrelink online account guides.

Change of circumstances

You must tell us if things change as it may affect your payment.

You can tell us using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Read about what you need to tell us.

Next: How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Youth Allowance for job seekers. Before you start, check if you can get it.

Page last updated: 2 August 2021