Youth Allowance for job seekers

Financial help if you’re 21 or younger and looking for work, or temporarily unable to work.

An increase to the rate of Youth Allowance for job seekers was announced in the Budget, starting from 20 September 2023. It’s subject to legislation. We’ll let you know more soon.

To get this payment, you must be 16 to 21 and one of the following:

  • looking for full time work
  • studying part time and looking for work
  • temporarily unable to work or study.

Read the full conditions under who can get it.

Read more about Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices if you’re both:

  • aged 24 or younger
  • a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

This may be better for your situation.

The Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) program may help you improve your speaking, reading, writing or maths.

Page last updated: 1 May 2023.
QC 43921

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.