How to report and manage your payment

To keep getting Youth Allowance for job seekers payment you need to report you and your partner's income every 2 weeks. You also need to keep meeting your mutual obligation requirements.

To keep your payment you’ll need to:

If you’re having trouble meeting your mutual obligation requirements, you need to talk to someone about it. Who this is depends on if you have an employment services provider or if you’re registered with Workforce Australia Online.

Getting help if you have an employment services provider

If you have an employment services provider, you should speak with them first. Otherwise, call the National Customer Service Line on the Workforce Australia website.

Getting help if you’re registered with Workforce Australia Online

If you’re with Workforce Australia Online, call the Digital Services Contact Centre on the Workforce Australia website.

Reporting your income

If your claim is successful, you’ll need to report your and your partner’s income to get your first payment, even if it’s $0.

Every 2 weeks you must report employment income you and your partner were paid in the last 14 days.

You’ll need to report your income even if it’s $0. If you don’t report every 2 weeks your payment will stop. We’ll tell you which dates you must report on and when your income reporting will start. If you report late, your payment will be late.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to report your income.

Sign in to myGov

You can also report your income by:

Read about how to report your income.

If you’re dependent and get Youth Allowance, we may need your parents’ or guardians’ income details each year.

You’ll need to call us on your regular payment line if any of these apply:

  • you can’t update your employment income online
  • you’re not sure how to report your back pay.

We don’t automatically deduct tax from most of our payments. But you can ask us to do this for you if you get a taxable payment. You can read information about paying tax on a Centrelink payment.

Keep meeting your mutual obligation requirements

When you get Youth Allowance for job seekers you need to meet your mutual obligation requirements. These requirements include completing activities such as job searches, training and work experience. Doing these activities may help you get back into work sooner. Read about mutual obligation requirements.

Page last updated: 2 August 2023.
QC 43981