How we can help you with family and domestic violence concerns

Our role is to help you access payments, and connect you to local support services. We can help you find services you need, like legal and housing support.

Call 000 if you are in immediate danger. To access 24/7 counselling and support call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. To close this page and display another website use the quick exit button.

Social work services

You can talk to one of our social workers. They can offer free, private, short-term counselling and support. They can also refer you to other services that may help like:

  • family and domestic violence services
  • legal services
  • emergency accommodation and long term housing support
  • financial help
  • counselling
  • health services.

To talk to one of our social workers you can:

  • call on the same number you usually use to call Centrelink and ask to speak with a social worker
  • visit a service centre where someone will refer you to a social worker.

If you don’t usually call Centrelink, you can call the Employment Services line on 132 850. Then, ask to speak with a social worker. This line's open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.

Any information you give us is private. We won’t share this information with anyone without your permission. We’ll only use it to help you find the right services and support. Read more about your right to privacy.

Child Support

We can help you with information and support. This includes:

If you need more information about your child support options, call us on the Child Support enquiry line.

Financial help

We’ll check if you can get a payment from us, such as income support payments or Crisis Payment.

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see what payments and services you may be able to get.

You may be able to get an advance payment. This is when we pay you some of your payment in advance. You pay it back fortnightly through your regular payment. To get an advance payment, you have to have been getting a payment from us for more than 3 months.

What we might ask for

We may ask for supporting documents to pay you. If you don’t have the documents we ask for, we can still help you. You can contact us and we’ll work with you to find other options.

If you have access to these documents, it’s a good idea to keep them somewhere safe. This will help if you need them quickly.

We may ask you to provide contact details of someone who knows your situation, such as a:

  • health professional
  • community services worker
  • police officer
  • family member
  • close friend
  • neighbour.

Other information we may ask for could include:

  • your contact details, including a safe postal address
  • proof of identity for you and your children, such as a passport, driver’s licence, and birth certificates
  • a bank account you have secure access to
  • your tax file number.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 5 October 2021