How we can help

We can help you access our payments and connect you to other support services.

Call 000 if you are in immediate danger. To close this page and display another website use the quick exit button. Remember to clear your internet search history.

To access 24/7 counselling and support, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

Social work services

If you’re concerned about you or your children’s safety, you can also call your regular payment line and ask to speak with a social worker. Our social workers can connect you to payments, legal services including legal aid and support services like:

  • family and domestic violence services
  • emergency accommodation and long-term housing support
  • financial help
  • counselling
  • health services.

To talk to one of our social workers you can:

  • call on the same number you usually use to call us, and ask to speak with a social worker
  • visit a service centre and someone can refer you to a social worker.

If you don’t usually call us, you can call the Employment Services line on 132 850. Then, ask to speak with a social worker. This line is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.

Any information you give us is private. We won’t share this information with anyone without your permission. We’ll only use it to help you find the right services and support. Read more about your right to privacy.

Financial help

We’ll check if you can get a payment from us, such as an income support payment or Crisis Payment. We can also help you collect child support.

We can help you claim a payment best suited to your situation.

If it’s not safe for you or your family to complete a claim, please call us to talk about your options. We can help you submit a claim and make sure you’re paid from the earliest date possible.

You can phone us on the same number you usually use. If you don’t usually phone us, you can call the Employment Services line and ask to speak with a social worker.

What we might ask for

We may ask for supporting documents to pay you. If you don’t have the documents we ask for, we can still help you. You can contact us and we’ll work with you to find other options.

If you have access to these documents, it’s a good idea to keep them somewhere safe. This will help if you need them quickly.

We may ask you to provide contact details of someone who knows your situation, such as a:

  • health professional
  • community services worker
  • police officer
  • family member
  • close friend
  • neighbour.

Other information we may ask for could include:

  • your contact details, including a safe postal address
  • proof of identity for you and your children, such as a passport, drivers licence and birth certificates
  • a bank account you have secure access to
  • your tax file number.

Information in your language

You can get information in your language from a qualified interpreter. This includes:

  • Auslan or sign language
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island languages
  • international languages.

Ask us for an interpreter when you call or visit us.

If you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian, you can also call our Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre on 1800 136 380.

Page last updated: 21 December 2023.
QC 60036