A one-off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.
If you’ve been affected by the Victorian lockdown and have lost income, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Disaster payment.
We have information in different languages about Crisis Payment
Call our Multilingual Phone Service to speak with us in your language about your Centrelink payments and services.
There are different types of Crisis Payments to cover different situations.
To get any of these payments, you must meet all of the following:
- be in severe financial hardship
- get, or, be eligible for an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- be experiencing an extreme circumstance.
You’ll also need to meet other eligibility criteria based on the type of Crisis Payment you claim.
If you’re not getting an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance, use Payment and Service finder to check if you can get one.
To be eligible, you must be experiencing 1 of the following:
- you or someone you’re caring for are required to quarantine or self-isolate due to COVID-19
- you’ve experienced an incident of family and domestic violence
- you’ve had to leave your home because of a natural or other disaster not covered by a disaster relief payment
- you’ve arrived in Australia as a Humanitarian Entrant for the first time
- you were released from prison or psychiatric confinement.
When to claim
In most cases you must contact us within 7 days of your extreme circumstance occurring. However, if your extreme circumstance is due to coronavirus (COVID-19) you must contact us within 14 days.
When you get assistance from agencies and charities
If you’re getting new electrical goods or food from other agencies or charities, you can still claim a Crisis Payment.
Help in an emergency
Each disaster is different so the timing and type of financial help varies. You can’t get a Crisis Payment if you already get a disaster relief payment.
Read more about how we help in an emergency.
Types of Crisis Payment
Read about the Crisis Payment for your situation.
Page last updated: 6 April 2021
This information was printed 3 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/crisis-payment. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.