ABSTUDY students who live away from home to study and those on an Away from Base activity are both eligible.
To get help for travel when you’re impacted by an emergency or disaster, you must be either getting:
- the higher rates of ABSTUDY when living away from home
- ABSTUDY Away from Base Assistance and on an Away from Base activity.
Emergencies and disasters are serious and potentially dangerous conditions or events that need immediate action. They include any of the following:
- federal, state or local government declared emergencies
- natural disasters
- major accidents
- pandemic lockdowns
You can get the allowance if you get ABSTUDY and you’re any of the following:
- secondary school student
- tertiary student
- secondary student not at a secondary school, for example, studying year 11 or 12 at a TAFE.
You can get the allowance for trips to:
- return to your home
- return to your place of study
- travel to an alternative safe location.