This applies if you’re under 18, studying at secondary school and getting ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
Supervisors need to be 18 or over. They also must be 1 of the following:
- your parent or guardian
- a person from your local community
- a representative from your school or hostel.
Keep in mind, if you’re younger than 12, you must travel with a supervisor.
If you’re 12 to 17, you should travel with a supervisor in any of these situations:
- you’re travelling to your place of study for the first time
- you’re taking more than 1 type of travel, for example a flight and a bus
- you have a break in your trip, for example needing to take 2 flights with a wait between them
- you’ll be travelling for more than 1 day
- you’ve missed buses, flights or trains in the past
- you need emotional or psychological support.
Your supervisor needs to look after you if the trip doesn’t go as planned. For example, if a bus gets cancelled they must stay with you until another one comes.
Supervisors can get a return trip from their home to your place of study or where you are travelling to. The supervisor can travel one way as long as they complete the supervision requirements. A supervisor can travel with you for all types of travel.