School holiday travel

Help for secondary school students for up to 3 school holiday return trips each year.

You can get the allowance if you're either a:

  • a secondary school student
  • returning home for school holidays.

You can get the allowance for a return trip:

  • between your home and place of study
  • to a location other than your home or place of study, if it’s on your normal route.

You can't get help for travel at any of the following times:

  • over Easter, unless Easter is in the school holidays
  • over long weekends
  • when boarding schools or hostels close.

A dependent traveller, supervisor or travelling companion can also get it if they travel with you.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 53234