You can get the allowance if you're either a:
- a secondary school student
- returning home for school holidays.
You can get the allowance for a return trip:
- between your home and place of study
- to a location other than your home or place of study, if it’s on your normal route.
You can't get help for travel at any of the following times:
- over Easter, unless Easter is in the school holidays
- over long weekends
- when boarding schools or hostels close.
A dependent traveller, supervisor or travelling companion can also get it if they travel with you.