When you hold a temporary visa

You can’t get Child Care Subsidy overseas for any reason if you hold most temporary protection type visas.

Except if you hold one of these visas:

  • Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 issued on or after 16 December 2014.

If you hold one of these visas, you may get Child Care Subsidy for up to 6 weeks if you’re travelling outside Australia for one of these approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis - for example, to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for specific humanitarian reasons - for example, to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia.
Page last updated: 25 July 2022.
QC 61856