Transitioning out of care

Find help if you’re transitioning out of state or foster care.

Financial help

There are payments to help as you transition out of care.

One off payment

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) is a payment that’s worth up to $1,500 and helps with the costs of leaving care. It can be used to pay for a wide range of items such as payment of rental bonds, furniture, course fees and buying a car.

Fortnightly payments

Being in state care means you may get a higher rate of Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY Living Allowance. Find out more about:

You can also use our Payment and service finder to find other payments you may be eligible for. There are different payments to help if you’re:

Help managing your payments

It’s important to keep us up to date. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can let us know about changes to your circumstances online.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you move out of care and start living with others it may affect your payment.

Help from other places

Whatever your situation, there’s support available.

We have support services including:

Ask Izzy is a free and anonymous website to find national and local support. It includes services like housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice and many more.

There are also state and territory resources that can help you transition to independent living. These links will take you away from our website.

State or territoryResources
ACTYouth Housing - Community Services (
NSWLeaving care - Planning for your future | NSW Government 

Rent Choice Youth | Family and Community Services (
NTAnglicare NT - Anglicare NT (
QldLeaving care | Youth | Queensland Government ( 

Youth Housing and Reintegration Services | Youth | Queensland Government (
SALeaving care | Department for Child Protection
TasTransition to Independence for young people leaving care on Department of Education, Children and Young People
VicLeaving care - DFFH Service Providers
WAChild safe organisations – Information for children and young people

You can find more support and services for young people leaving care on the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 7 March 2024.
QC 62639