Accommodation and renting

Find out what help you can get from us when you’re renting.

You’ll need to give us proof of your rent arrangements to get Rent Assistance.

We’ll assess you for Rent Assistance if you’re renting and you get certain payments from us. You need to:

  • tell us if you’ve moved address
  • tell us if the rent you pay has changed.

If you don’t already get a payment, we’ll assess you for Rent Assistance when you claim certain payments.

Manage your rent

There are many services that can help you manage your rent.

Rent Assistance gives you financial help. You can get it if you both:

  • pay rent, other than to a state or territory housing authority
  • get certain payments from us.

The Electronic Verification of Rent helps make sure you get the right amount of Rent Assistance. It’s a service for:

  • community housing organisations
  • supported accommodation providers.

It lets them verify your rent details and update us when your rent changes. Ask your housing organisation or provider if they use it.

The Rent Deduction Scheme lets you pay your public housing rent straight from your Centrelink payments. You can arrange this with your state or territory housing authority. It’s a free service.

Centrepay lets you pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. It’s free and voluntary. You can use it to pay your rent and other bills, such as child care and electricity.

In-between home addresses

If you’re in-between home addresses, keep us up to date and tell us where to send your mail so you can get it.

You can tell us about a home address you are moving to in the future but we can only send your mail there from the date you’ve told us you’ll be living there. However, while you’re waiting for this to happen, it’s important you give us a secure mailing address. If you don’t, your mail will go to the last mailing address you gave us.

It’s important to keep your addresses up to date using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

If you are living with violence or abuse, or separating from your partner, you should review all addresses we have recorded for you. This can help to keep your information secure.

Help in a crisis

Crisis Payment can help if you’re going through difficult or extreme circumstances. It’s a one-off payment.

If you’re experiencing family and domestic violence, we can help you with information, resources and referrals. We can also help you get your mail securely.

We also have social workers you can talk to about your situation. They can help you with information, support and short-term counselling.

For help with payments or services, visit a service centre or call us on your regular payment line.

Page last updated: 11 May 2023.
QC 60275