Changing your address

Learn about what you need to tell us when you move house and how it can affect your payments.

When you’re moving house, you need to let us know. You should update your address within 14 days, even if you don’t get a payment from us.

This is so we can get in touch with you if we need to. If you get a payment, it also helps us make sure we’re paying you the right amount.

How to update your address

You can update your address for Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support through myGov.

If you update your details in your myGov account, it will send your new information to some of your linked services automatically.

You can also update your details separately using any of these accounts:

If you can’t update your details online, you can call us.

If you’re renting, we’ll automatically assess you for Rent Assistance. Read about Rent Assistance and how to manage it.

When you downsize

If you decide to downsize and your address changes, you’ll need to update your details with us.

Downsizing can involve:

  • moving into a smaller home
  • selling assets
  • moving into care
  • moving into aged care, such as a nursing home.

If you’re downsizing, you may also be thinking about retirement.

Read about retirement and what help you may get if you decide to stop working.

Depending on your age, when you downsize you may be able to add excess funds to your superannuation. This may affect your Centrelink income support payment. Before you make a decision, we recommend you either:

Read about Downsizing superannuation contributions on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Page last updated: 25 May 2022