Living in a rural or remote area

Find out what support you can get if you live and work in rural, regional or remote Australia.

Payments you may get

Farm Household Allowance is for farming families in financial hardship. A Farm Household Case Officer will help you manage your payment and find support services.

Assistance for Isolated Children payments are for parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local state school. This could be because of disability, special needs or living in an isolated area.

Remote Area Allowance is an extra payment if you live in a remote area and get income support from us.

Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme reduces the cost of transporting eligible goods by sea between Tasmania and mainland Australia. This includes:

  • northbound goods
  • southbound goods for manufacturing and mining, or primary production
  • intrastate, King Island and the Furneaux Group freight.

Mobile Service Centres

Our Mobile Service Centres travel across Australia to help people in rural, remote and regional areas.

Read about Mobile Service Centres and where to find them.

Agents and Access Points

Agents and Access Points are in regional and remote areas to help people deal with us online.

Read about where to find your local Agent or Access Point.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 60222