Starting secondary

Find out how we can support you when your child moves to secondary school.

It’s compulsory for your child to be in school until they’re 17.

Read about finding and enrolling in school.

Our payments

You may be able to get Family Tax Benefit. This 2-part payment helps parents who care for a full time secondary student.

If you’re the parent of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student or apprentice, you can claim ABSTUDY. We usually pay it when a child starts secondary school. You can claim it if your child is studying at home or away from home.

Depending on your child’s circumstances, payments can cover boarding fees and travel.

Assistance for Isolated Children is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local state school. This could be because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Payments for secondary students

Secondary students may be able to claim a payment from us directly.

They may be able to get Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices. Rules apply. Read more about who can get it.

They may also be able to claim ABSTUDY. Read more about what ABSTUDY payments there are for secondary and primary students.

When you’re a mature aged student

There are payments you can get if you’re above school age and in full time secondary school study.

You may be eligible for:

When your circumstances change

When you get a payment from us and your circumstances change, you must tell us within 14 days. This includes when your child starts secondary or high school. You need to tell us because it can affect the payments you get.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to tell us about changes to your circumstances.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

Page last updated: 20 April 2023.
QC 60206