Starting primary

Learn about payments and services that can support you when your child starts primary school.

To start primary school, your child must be the compulsory starting age for your state or territory. Contact your choice of school to find out how to enrol.

Your child must be at school in the year they reach the compulsory school starting age.

Read about finding and enrolling in school.

Our payments

Family Tax Benefit is a 2-part payment that helps with the cost of raising children.

Parenting Payment is income support while you’re caring for a young child. You may get it if you’re either:

  • single and caring for a child under 8
  • partnered and caring for a child under 6.

Assistance for Isolated Children is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local state school. This could be because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Before or after school care

While your child is at primary school, we may be able to help with care outside of school hours.

You may be able to get Child Care Subsidy to help with before and after school care fees. You may also be able to get it for holiday care during school holidays.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 60205