To get this you must be one of the following:
- 18 to 24 and studying full time
- 16 to 17, studying full time and either independent or needing to live away from home to study
- 16 to 17, studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent
- 16 to 24 and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.
Read the full conditions under who can get it.
What you need to do
- Check if you can get it.
- Follow the steps to claim.
- Report and keep your payment.
If you’re 21 or younger and looking for full time work, read more about Youth Allowance for job seekers.
Check if you're eligible to get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice.
We use income and assets tests to work out how much Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices you get. These are the maximum rates.
There are several things to check before you claim Youth Allowance for students and apprentices.
Complete the following steps to claim Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Your study circumstances can affect when you’ll get your first payment.
There are things you need to do while you’re getting Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice.