on this page
Watch our interactive school leavers video to find out about student payments, Medicare and more.
Help to decide what to do after school
If you aren’t sure what to do next, there’s information to help you decide.
- use the School Leavers Information Kit on the Your Career website to learn about study, training and work options
- use the Labour Market Insights search tool to see which jobs are in demand in your local area
- go to the myfuture website to discover your strengths, and make career decisions
- use the myskills website to compare training at different providers.
Help to prepare for your next steps
To help transition to life after school, you can:
- get a tax file number (TFN) using the Australian Taxation Office website, if you don’t already have one
- create a myGov account on the myGov website and link to your Centrelink online account
- get your own Medicare card
- give us your bank account details so we can pay you Medicare benefits
- read and download information about student payments from our school leavers resource eKit
- find out how tax and superannuation works from the Australian Taxation Office, and what you need to do.
Help to continue study
We have payments to support you if you’re considering further study, including either:
- Youth Allowance for students and apprentices, if you’re 24 or younger
- ABSTUDY, if you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian.
Read about other payments you can get for higher education.
You can also use our Payment and Service Finder to see what payments you might be eligible for. It can also tell you out how much you could get each fortnight. It will be an estimate only and depends on you entering accurate information.
Learn about other types of financial help that are available from government, on the Study Assist website.
Help for apprentices or trainees
We have payments and services to help if you’re considering an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Read about how we can help apprentices.
Help to get a job
If you’re looking for work experience or a job, you can get help on the Workforce Australia website with:
- writing a resume
- improving your job search
- starting your own business
- one-on-one sessions to help you get job ready
- intensive employment assistance to build your skills and confidence and continue your education
- searching for harvest jobs in seasonal agriculture.
We can also help support you if you decide to work. Even if you already have a job, you may be eligible to get a payment from us.
Read about how we can help as you look for work.
Help with other life changes
We have payments and services to support you, if you’re doing any of the following: