Finding and enrolling in school

Get help to find schools in your area and information on enrolling your child.

Selecting a school

Your child will usually go to the government school closest to where you live. You can also choose:

  • a different government school if they have places available
  • a specialist school that teaches students with additional needs or specialises in a subject
  • a Catholic or independent school.

Your state or territory government can help you find a local school. These links will take you away from our website. You can also use them to enrol once you’ve chosen your school.

State or territory Resource
ACT Use the ACT education map on the ACT Government website.
NSW Use the NSW Public School Finder on the Education New South Wales website.
NT Use the Education Directory on the Northern Territory Government website.
Qld Use the Schools Directory on the Queensland Department of Education website.
SA Find a school zone or catchment area on the South Australian Department for Education website.
Tas Use the Tasmanian Department of Education's School Directory on their website.
Vic Use Find my School on the Victorian Department of Education and Training website.
WA Find schools in WA on the Western Australian Department of Education website.

Enrolling in school

You can generally enrol your child in school at any time during the year. It’s good to plan early. There could be a waiting list at the school you want your child to attend. Many schools start taking enrolments the year before the child is due to start.

When you enrol your child, the school may ask for their immunisation history. You can get an immunisation history statement using your Medicare online account.

Before your child starts school is a good time for a dental check-up. The Child Dental Benefits Schedule covers eligible children and teenagers aged 2 to 17.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021