What financial help is available for disasters

How we may be able to help you financially if you’ve been affected by a disaster.

Disaster payments

You may be able to get a disaster payment from us. It’ll depend on your situation and if you’re in a disaster declared area.

Advance payment

If you get an income support payment or Family Tax Benefit Part A, you may be eligible for an advance payment.

You’ll need to pay it back later out of your payments from us.

If you’ve had an advance payment in the past 12 months you may not be eligible.

Talk to our staff about an advance payment at a service centre.

Additional Child Care Subsidy (ACCS) Temporary Financial Hardship

This is short-term help for families who use child care and are experiencing significant financial hardship. You can get it for up to 13 weeks. You don’t need to meet the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) activity test. This means you can access up to 100 hours of subsidised child care per fortnight.

To claim this payment you must:

  • be eligible or already get CCS
  • have experienced temporary financial hardship due to an event that happened in the last 6 months
  • have a substantially reduced ability to pay child care fees.

If you already get CCS, you need to apply for ACCS Temporary Financial Hardship. If you don’t get CSS, you need to claim CCS and we’ll assess if you can get ACCS at the same time.

You can submit a claim using the self service facilities at a service centre, Agent or Access Point.

Other government assistance

Australian Government agencies can provide relief and recovery services and support. Find out more through the online tool Recovery Connect.

Find a payment

You may be eligible to claim disaster assistance. You may also be eligible for other income support payments. Use our Payment and Service Finder to check.

Page last updated: 1 April 2021