Leaving school

Information to help you choose your next adventure if you’re about to or have just finished school.

Further study

We offer a range of support so you can focus on your studies.

Read about the different payments for students and trainees you can claim. These include:

  • Youth Allowance, a fortnightly payment if you’re 24 or younger and studying full time
  • ABSTUDY, a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
  • extra payments to help with starting study, living costs and if you’re moving to study.

Our Payment and Service Finder helps you find out what payments you can get, and how much they’ll be. You’ll be able to claim most of these payments 13 weeks before your course starts. You’ll need to create a myGov account and link to Centrelink to get started on a claim.

You can also get more information about government financial assistance for further study. Read more on both the:

Entering a trade or full time work

If you’re done with the books, get ready for your next adventure. Whether it’s work, work experience or starting your own business, we have options to support your next step.

Read about the payment and services to help while you’re either:

You can also get help from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s JobSearch website with:

Not sure what’s next

If you need help making your next decision, check out these options. Each of these links will take you off our website. You can:

Tools and information

We have tools to help you explore payments and get the latest information about changes for students. You can:

Related subjects

Page last updated: 21 September 2021