Information to help you choose your next adventure if you’re about to or have just finished school.
We offer a range of support so you can focus on your studies.
Read about the different payments for students and trainees you can claim. These include:
- Youth Allowance, a fortnightly payment if you’re 24 or younger and studying full time
- ABSTUDY, a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- extra payments to help with starting study, living costs and if you’re moving to study.
Our Payment and Service Finder helps you find out what payments you can get, and how much they’ll be. You’ll be able to claim most of these payments 13 weeks before your course starts. You’ll need to create a myGov account and link to Centrelink to get started on a claim.
You can also get more information about government financial assistance for further study. Read more on both the:
Entering a trade or full time work
If you’re done with the books, get ready for your next adventure. Whether it’s work, work experience or starting your own business, we have options to support your next step.
Read about the payment and services to help while you’re either:
You can also get help from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s JobSearch website with:
Not sure what’s next
If you need help making your next decision, check out these options. Each of these links will take you off our website. You can:
- get free tailored careers support and guidance by calling, texting or emailing the School Leavers Information Service
- use the School Leavers Information Kit to learn about your education, training and work options
- use Job Outlook to look for careers and see what you enjoy
- go to myfuture to discover your strengths and make career decisions
- use My Skills to compare the outcomes, duration and locations of training at different providers
- get information about government help to pay for tertiary study on Study Assist
- get a Tax File Number, if you don’t already have one.
Tools and information
We have tools to help you explore payments and get the latest information about changes for students. You can:
- find out what payments you could get, and how much your payment would be, using Payment and Service Finder
- learn how to create a myGov account and link to your Centrelink online account
- get your own Medicare card once you’re aged 15 or older and proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations
- read and download information about student payments from our school leavers resource eKit
- find out how tax and superannuation works and what you need to do
- ask us your questions at Services Australia onFacebook or Twitter
- subscribe to News for students and trainees to get important information and updates about student payments.
Page last updated: 21 September 2021
This information was printed 22 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/leaving-school. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.