Someone to deal with us on your behalf

You can have an authorised representative to deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.



You can choose a person or an organisation to be your correspondence or payment nominee.

The nominee can be a different person or organisation for each type of arrangement or the same for both.

You can still deal with us yourself and you can cancel your nominee at any time. To do this, call us on your regular payment line or use your online account through myGov.

Your nominee can’t record a voiceprint on your behalf. This is because a voiceprint is unique to you. However, your nominee can still use the Centrelink phone service for you.

Correspondence nominee

Your correspondence nominee can:

  • ask us questions about your payments or services
  • tell us about changes to your circumstances
  • complete and sign forms and statements
  • come to appointments with you or, if appropriate, on your behalf
  • get copies of your letters from us.

They can also complete online transactions for you including:

  • all or part of an online claim, for some payments and concession cards
  • rent assistance reviews
  • reporting employment income
  • requesting and uploading documents such as income statements, payment summaries, Centrelink statements and rent certificates
  • requesting a replacement concession card
  • viewing and updating income and assets
  • viewing, adding or changing deductions.

Correspondence nominees may also be able to change where your payment goes. They’ll be able to do this if you don't have a payment nominee arrangement with another person.

Your correspondence nominee must:

  • tell us about any changes in your circumstances within 14 days, or within 28 days if you're outside Australia
  • act in your best interest
  • tell us about any changes that may affect their ability to be your nominee.

You’re at risk of not meeting your obligations if your nominee doesn’t:

  • respond to a request
  • tell us about your change in circumstance.

Payment nominee

Your payment nominee gets and uses your Centrelink payments on your behalf.

They can make or change deductions from your payment. They can also ask certain questions about your payment, like what your payment consists of.

Your payment nominee must:

  • get your Centrelink payments
  • use your payments only for your benefit
  • act in your best interest
  • tell us about any changes that may affect their ability to be your nominee
  • keep records on how they spend the money.

We can review spending records at any time. Your nominee is legally required to give us this information if we request it. If they don’t, they may get a fine.

Making a nominee arrangement

You can do this online or by completing a printed form.

Do it online

You can manage your nominee arrangements using your Centrelink online account.

Both you and the person you want to be your nominee, need to have a Centrelink online account. If either of you don’t have one, register now.

Your nominee will need to respond to the nominee request in their Centrelink online account within 14 days.

If you need help doing this, read the Centrelink online help guides for nominees.

Fill in a form

Fill in the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Then give it to the nominee to complete their section of the form. You can upload the form online, post or fax it to us or take it to a service centre.

We'll need to see your nominee’s identity documents unless your nominee is an organisation.

Person permitted to enquire

You can choose a person or an organization just to ask about your Centrelink payments and services. To do this, complete the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Then send it to us using the ‘Returning your form’ information on the form. You can also call us on your main payment phone line to give someone permission to enquire.

Group Payment Scheme

A group payment arrangement allows an institution to get your payments on your behalf. This is a voluntary arrangement and is different to a payment nominee arrangement or Centrepay.

You can ask for your payments to go to an institution such as an aged care facility. You must be getting a pension and the institution must be approved for group payment arrangements.

The institution helps you manage your money, for example, by deducting your aged care fees. They transfer the rest to you or hold it in a trust account for when you need it.

Group payments are all paid on the same Thursday each fortnight.

We don’t charge you or the institution to use a group payment arrangement.

To choose this, fill in the Please send my payment to an institution – Group Payment form. Then give it to the institution to complete their part of the form. You can send it to us using the ‘Returning your form’ information on the form.

Status Resolution Support Services Payment

You can authorise a person or organisation to ask on your behalf about your Status Resolution Support Services Payment. They’ll need to use the Status Resolution Support Services Payment - authorising a person or organisation or enquire on your behalf form.


A person can act on your behalf for Medicare purposes when either:

  • they’re your appointed Power of Attorney (POA)
  • a court or tribunal has appointed them as your guardian and administrator
  • we’ve accepted them as your authorised representative
  • they’re your authorised third party.

Power of Attorney or guardian and administration orders

Use a Power of Attorney (POA) or guardianship and administration order, to appoint someone to act on your behalf. The POA or order must show your representative can act on your behalf for financial matters.

You’ll need to provide us with both of the following:

  • an original or a certified copy of the POA document or guardianship and administration order
  • a written letter of request which includes your Medicare number.

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

Authorised representative

You can nominate yourself to be an authorised representative. You can only do this if the person you want to represent can’t manage their own affairs. It must be due to a medical condition or disability.

To be someone’s authorised representative, you must be all of the following:

  • over 18 years old
  • their close friend or relative
  • not their paid carer from any organisation, institution or community health care service.

To apply, complete an Authorisation to act on a person’s behalf form. We also need original or certified copies of all of the following:

  • your current photo ID
  • a statutory declaration which states how you know them and your care arrangements for them
  • evidence you act on their behalf for a similar arrangement
  • evidence that the person is unable to manage their own affairs.

Refer to the form for examples of documents you should give us.

You can do this by post to the address on the form. You can also hand it in at a service centre.

Authorised third party

You can give us permission to release your compensation information to a third party. They can also complete and sign relevant documentation on your behalf. Use the Medicare Compensation Recovery Third party authority form.

An authorised third party also includes legal representatives.

A legal representative is a person who has been legally appointed by law to act on the injured person’s behalf.

You can appoint a legal representative with 1 of the following:

  • a Last Will and Testament confirming the executor or executrix of the estate
  • Letters of Administration or Probate where the injured person dies intestate, without a Last Will and Testament in place
  • Public Trustee documentation
  • a Court order.

Aged Care

You can appoint a nominee to deal with us on your behalf if you are either:

  • in residential aged care
  • getting a home care package.

Child Support

You can choose a person or organisation to be your child support representative. They will be able to:

  • ask us questions
  • give us information
  • have access to and discuss your child support information.

This person must be 18 or older. They shouldn’t be:

  • a child who you paid or get child support for, even if they’ve turned 18
  • the other parent in your child support case.

You can choose:

  • the date they’ll stop representing you
  • the details they can know and discuss
  • if they can arrange for you to pay us child support you owe
  • if they can update your contact details with us.

They can’t:

How to appoint a Child Support representative

You can either:

A letter of authorisation should tell us:

  • enough information to identify your representative
  • the details you want them to discuss with us
  • the date they’ll stop representing you.

Then submit it either:

Page last updated: 14 September 2020