on this page
What you need to know
We’ll invite you to apply to transfer to Age Pension 13 weeks before you're Age Pension age.
You’ll need to tell us if you:
- want to transfer or not
- have superannuation.
If you don’t do this, we may stop your Disability Support Pension once you turn Age Pension age.
We’ll send the invitation to your online account if you have one. If you don’t, we’ll post the invitation and form to you. We’ll fill in the online transfer or form with details we already know about you.
What the benefits are
If you transfer to Age Pension:
- there are no medical rules or medical reviews
- you may get a higher rate of payment and more generous income and assets tests
- you may get the Work Bonus
- we exempt more land from the assets test if you live on a single land title covering more than 2 hectares.
Keep in mind, some of these factors may change based on your individual circumstances.
If you intend to travel, compare the rules for Disability Support Pension with those for Age Pension.
What happens if you stay on Disability Support Pension
If you stay on Disability Support Pension, you may:
- get the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment if you study
- keep the higher rate of Mobility Allowance
- get a higher rate of Rent Assistance if you’re single and sharing privately rented accommodation
- keep getting Incentive Allowance if you’ are continuing in supported employment and not getting Rent Assistance.
How to confirm your decision
You need to complete the online task or return the form we send you and confirm you want to either:
- transfer to Age Pension
- stay on Disability Support Pension.
You also have to tell us about any superannuation you have.
Read more about applying to transfer to Age Pension.