Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long we pay your Disability Support Pension (DSP) while outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop when you depart. This is unless one of these apply. You:

  • are terminally ill
  • left Australia before 1 July 2004, we advised we’d pay you indefinitely and you haven’t returned to live in Australia
  • had an assessment before leaving and you meet the manifest medical rules
  • had an assessment before leaving that confirms that you have no future work capacity
  • move to a country we have a social security agreement with and you can get DSP under that agreement.

In these situations, while you’re outside Australia, you’ll keep getting DSP. But the amount you get may change.

Your payment may also stop if all of the following apply. You:

  • come back to Australia to live
  • start getting Disability Support Pension after you return
  • travel outside Australia during the next 2 years after you returned.

Your payment may continue if you travel to a country we have a social security agreement with.

Your payment may not reduce or stop if you’re temporarily overseas and can’t return to Australia due to unforeseen circumstances. This includes a serious illness, public health crisis, or natural disaster. If you have a Pensioner Concession Card, it will still cancel after you’ve been temporarily overseas for 6 weeks.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 31211