Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you're getting Disability Support Pension (DSP).

What to tell us

You need to tell us if there are changes to any of the following:

  • your name
  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship changes, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • your accommodation details, see how you can do this online
  • you’re leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your or your partner’s income or assets change
  • your medical condition.

If you’re under 35, have DSP participation requirements, and can’t participate, you may need to give us a medical certificate. You may be able to get a short term exemption from your requirements.

You also need to tell us if your living arrangements change if you’re single. This is if you start sharing your accommodation with anyone outside your family who’s 16 or older. Use the relationship details form to do this.

You need to tell us about a change to your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.

How to tell us

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about changes to your circumstances online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

You can also tell us using either:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option, please call the Disability, sickness and carers line.

It is never too late to report a change. By telling us about any changes today, we can help make sure you receive the correct payment.

If you get a payment you’re not eligible for, you may have to repay the amount plus a recovery fee. Having to repay a debt may be difficult. But choosing not to tell us your circumstances change could lead to far more serious consequences.

If you deliberately don’t tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud. Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

We do regular reviews to make sure you’re eligible for payments and that you’re getting the right amount.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

Page last updated: 15 January 2024.
QC 29881