Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices when you travel outside Australia.

You should always tell us if you’re leaving Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop when you depart.

If your travel is short term, your payment will stop when you depart, unless you’re travelling for an approved reason.

You may get Youth Allowance because of a residence exemption available to some New Zealand citizens. If you do and your payment stops while you’re overseas, you won’t get the exemption again when you return.

Page last updated: 20 September 2023.
QC 31106