You’ll need to:
- report any income you earn
- report if your study load changes
- tell us about any changes to your circumstances
- tell us if you’re going overseas.
Call us on the Youth and students line to tell us if any of the following happen:
- you don’t remain enrolled in your course
- you don’t plan on returning to study
- your study load reduces
- you’re getting the away from home rate of payment from us and you’re no longer maintaining your term address.
If you don’t do these things
We may pay you the wrong amount and you’ll get a debt you’ll need to repay.
To find more information about your payments, go to My payments in your Centrelink online account. There, you’ll be able to see information including how we work out your payment and how much we’ll pay you.
How much you or your partner get paid affects your payment. We need to know what you both get paid so we can pay you the right amount.
You must tell us if things change when you’re getting Youth Allowance as it may affect your payment.
You can have an authorised representative to deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, update, act or get payments for you.
There are rules about when you can get Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices when you travel outside Australia.
If you’re dependent and get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY, we may need your parents’ or guardians’ income details each year.
We may send a letter to your myGov inbox asking you to do an online review of your study details.
You may be able to cancel your own payment online. This means you don’t need to visit a service centre or call us.