on this page
You can cancel your own payment online if you get:
- Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices
- Youth Allowance for job seekers
- JobSeeker Payment
- ABSTUDY as an Australian Apprentice.
Some customers can’t cancel their own payment online, based on their circumstances. This could include if:
You’ll need to contact us to discuss your payment.
What may happen if you cancel your payment
When you decide to cancel your payment, it’s important to know that it may affect your eligibility for any supplementary payments you may be on. These may include:
- Rent Assistance
- Energy Supplement
- Pharmaceutical Allowance
- Telephone Allowance
- Utilities Allowance
- Approved Program of Work Supplement
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy Supplement
- Pensioner Education Supplement
- Fares Allowance
- Remote Area Allowance.
It may also change your:
- rate of Child Care Subsidy
- rate of Family Tax Benefit
- partner’s income support payment
- concession card eligibility
- sibling’s entitlement.
You may also have to serve a waiting period if you reclaim an income support payment in the future.
If you’re not sure about what happens if you cancel your payment, call us.
If you’ve found work
You may not need to cancel your payment if you’ve found work. You may still qualify for income support if either:
If you have commenced a short term non-ongoing full time job, you need to keep reporting your income fortnightly even if it results in a nil payment. Your income support payment will only cancel after 6 fortnights of nil payment, unless you get ABSTUDY.
How to cancel your own payment online
If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, you can cancel your own payment online.
To do this:
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Payments and claims.
- Under Manage payments, select Cancel my current payment.
- Follow the prompts to submit your claim, then select Yes to confirm your update and cancel your payment.
We’ll give you a receipt when you submit your update. Make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.
What happens next
You don’t need to contact us. We’ll send you a letter when we’ve cancelled your payment.
If you need to get a payments in the future, you’ll have to submit a new claim.