Updating your gender details with us

You can choose to update your gender details, name or title with us.

Update your gender details

Our Centrelink personal records system allows us to record your gender as male, female or non-binary.

Currently, our Child Support and Medicare personal records systems only allow us to record your gender as male or female. However, if you identify as a non-binary gender, we can add a note to your personal record about your gender details.

You don’t have to update your gender details. It's your choice.

How to update your gender details


Most people can update their gender details for Centrelink by using their Centrelink online account or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Go to the MyProfile tab and update gender. You can also phone us.

Primary carers can update their child’s gender details in Centrelink by phoning us. A primary carer is the person with the highest percentage of care for the child. This can include parents, carers, foster carers or grandparents.


For Medicare, you can bring your supporting document to a service centre to update your gender details on your Medicare record.

Child Support

You’ll need to update your details on your Child Support record separately by phoning us.

If you can’t visit a service centre

You can write to us and ask us to update your details if you can’t visit a service centre or if you live in a remote area. Make sure you sign the request and include a certified copy of a supporting document. Post your signed request and document to us to update your details for:

Supporting documents to update your details

Most people don’t need to provide any supporting documentation to update their gender with Centrelink.

To update your gender in your Child Support or Medicare record, you’ll need to provide us with supporting documents.

You will also need to provide supporting documents if you’re required to verify your identity under an international agreement with Centrelink.

The supporting documents can be any of the following:

  • a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or Registered Psychologist verifying your gender
  • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a valid passport showing your gender identity
  • a state or territory birth certificate showing your gender identity
  • a state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details Certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Birth, Deaths and Marriages has accepted a change in sex.

Update your name or title

You can ask us to update your name or title at any time, or you may choose not to have a title.

How to update your legal name

When you change your legal name, you may need to confirm your identity before we can update your record. You may need to supply a document to support the change to your legal name.

Read more about how you can prove your identity.

How to update your preferred name

You can tell us your preferred name and title you'd like us to use. We can update your personal record without needing a supporting document. You can also tell us if you'd prefer we didn’t use a title, such as Miss, Mr, Mrs or Mx.

Your legal name will still appear on letters, concession cards and in some places on your online account.

Gender definitions


The chromosomal, gonadal and anatomical characteristics associated with biological sex.


A part of a person’s personal and social identity. It refers to the way a person feels, presents and is recognised in the community.

Non-binary gender

Those who don't fall within the traditional binary notions of sex and gender, such as male and female. This may include people who identify as:

  • a gender different to their birth sex
  • neither male or female
  • whose cultures may have their own terms for gender identities outside male and female.

Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender

We’ve committed to applying the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender. We support people who identify as being of a different gender to their assigned sex at birth.

Read the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender on the Attorney-General’s Department website.

Page last updated: 9 August 2023.
QC 65146