Update your personal details for Medicare

If your details change, you need to let us know as soon as you can. This can include your name, address and bank details.

Updating your address or bank details

It’s quick and easy to update your address and bank details online. You can do this any time.

You can update your address and bank account:

Make sure we have both your correct address and bank details. We need these so we can:

  • send you a new Medicare card when your card expires
  • put money in your account when you claim a benefit.

If we don’t have the right bank details, we won’t be able to pay your Medicare benefit to you. We may hold your payment until we have your bank account details.

Read our online help guides if you need help updating your personal details or updating your bank account details.

Read more about getting Medicare benefits.

Updating your name, date of birth or gender

You can call us on the Medicare program line to make some updates to your name or date of birth. You’ll need to prove your identity over the phone.

Updates we can make for you over the phone include:

  • changing your legal name, for example changing from a maiden to married name
  • date of birth details where the date’s one day out, for example changing 1 September 1990 to 2 September 1990
  • date of birth details where you need to swap the day and month, for example, 1-9-1990 to 9-1-1990.

To change your legal name you’ll need to have supporting documents with you when you call us.

You can use any one of the following:

  • marriage certificate
  • certificate of name change
  • birth certificate.

We won’t accept ceremonial certificates as a supporting document.

We’ll send you a new Medicare card if your name has changed. We can’t update your gender details or full date of birth over the phone. You’ll need to give us supporting documents as proof for these changes. To make these changes you can either:

  • call us and we’ll tell you what proof we need
  • mail or email your request and a copy of proof of the change to Medicare Enrolment Services.

You don’t have to get the copy of your proof certified.

If you email us, please include Update personal details in the subject line.

If you’re Indigenous

If you’re Indigenous and don’t have standard identity documents, you can use a referee instead. You and your referee need to complete the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form. You can find out who can be a referee on the form.

You can send it to us by mail or email to Medicare Enrolment Services. You should attach copies of the form and supporting documents. You don’t have to get these copies certified.

Call the Indigenous access line if you need help filling out the form.

Updating details when someone has died

If a family member listed on your card dies, you’ll need to let us know. On request, we can reissue a new card.

Find out what else you can do to notify us following a death.

Updating details if you’re affected by family and domestic violence

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence, we can help you update your details. You can call us for help. Do this by calling the Centrelink Employment Services line on 132 850 and ask to speak with a social worker. If you usually call Centrelink on another number, you can also use that number and ask to speak to a social worker. Anything you tell us is private.

We can help you do all the following:

  • end an arrangement if someone else has permission to deal with Medicare on your behalf
  • transfer to a new Medicare card if it’s unsafe to stay on your current card
  • update your personal details to make sure only you get payments and correspondence from us
  • speak with a social worker, who can provide free, confidential counselling.

Whatever your situation, it’s important to know there’s support available. Any of our staff can help you access the right support. We can also help you keep your personal details safe.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022